Multitenancy is a software program structure that serves a number of customers by delivering a single occasion of software program. It allows every consumer to entry the info, configuration, consumer administration, and different particular functionalities of a given occasion.
These days, multitenancy is a key characteristic of the cloud setting.
Earlier than we dive into multitenancy, let’s check out cloud computing and the way it helps multitenancy.
Cloud Computing and Multitenancy
Cloud computing affords firms many advantages, together with scalability of sources and cost-effectiveness. With cloud computing, you may ship infrastructure to community architects, platforms to software program builders, and software program to finish customers. For extra data on cloud computing, learn our article “What Is Cloud Native?”
Picture inspiration: Plesk
In the present day, most purposes are delivered to prospects and finish customers through the cloud as software program as a service (SaaS). It permits many finish customers to entry this software program regardless of their location or kind of machine. SaaS is supported by multitenancy — it ensures customers’ entry to a single software by permitting them to handle their interface with out affecting different customers.
Let’s check out how multitenancy works and the advantages it brings to customers.
Multitenancy, also called multi-tenant structure, refers to a software program structure by which one single occasion of software program can serve completely different customers. These customers are also called tenants, and every tenant who’s accessing the identical occasion has their very own outlined permissions.
Multitenancy offers firms the power to ship one software to many tenants, permitting them to entry solely related information by means of a single deployment.
Tenants will be particular person customers or a bunch of customers, inside or exterior of the corporate, who’re in some way associated to the enterprise. Every tenant shares entry to the setting, consumer administration, configuration, and performance of the applying.
Let’s assessment some examples of multitenancy from on a regular basis life.
Examples of Multitenancy
These days, most of us have a non-public checking account at a particular financial institution. You possibly can handle the funds in your checking account — pay payments, switch cash to completely different accounts, or test your stability — however you aren’t capable of entry different prospects’ accounts.
Equally, one other instance of multitenancy is Netflix. As a streaming service, it allows you to create your personal account and luxuriate in watching varied films or sequence with out limiting different customers’ time or affecting their style preferences.
In each examples, prospects can entry the identical sources, and so they know that there are various different accounts using the identical service however they can not see or handle them.
There are a lot of different SaaS purposes which might be cloud-based and serve quite a few teams of customers, similar to G-Mail, MS Workplace, and Zoom.
Picture inspiration: Thecategorizer
Single-tenant vs. Multi-tenant Structure
Whereas establishing your corporation purposes and managing and dividing entry amongst your customers, you may select between multi-tenant structure and single-tenant structure.
Single-tenant structure, the alternative of multi-tenant structure, is offered by one occasion serving just one tenant. Every buyer has their very own separate database and software program occasion, and there’s no chance that another consumer might entry it.
Think about an software working on a server supported by impartial infrastructure that was developed just for one particular consumer. At the moment, they’re the one one who makes use of this software often. This will likely seem like an costly answer because of its poor useful resource allocation and requirement for a extremely managed setting for each tenant.
Alternatively, a single-tenant answer offers a buyer management over all the structure. It ensures that customers will nonetheless be capable of entry and use the applying with out outages or decreased efficiency attributable to quite a few customers accessing the applying.
In distinction to single-tenant structure, multi-tenant structure is especially utilized by a number of organizations or teams of customers inside one group to supply multiplicitous entry for one occasion.
Whereas single-tenant structure will be deployed by means of non-public clouds or native servers, multi-tenant structure will be deployed in all types of clouds: non-public, hybrid, or public.
Advantages of Multitenancy
- Scalability: A very powerful benefit of multitenancy is scalability. It permits us to scale sources by including or eradicating capability and supply permissions to workers based mostly on their skilled wants in a multi-user software.
- Value-effectiveness: When one software is utilized by a number of customers, the price of its setting is shared. You solely pay for what you really use. Equally, you should not have to pay extra fees for managing new tenants, growth, and upkeep. Cloud distributors cowl these extra fees and we, as prospects, keep away from expensive upkeep charges and solely pay for our SaaS subscription.
- Safety and privateness: Whereas single-tenant structure can safe your delicate information higher than multi-tenant structure, multitenancy nonetheless lets you maintain every tenant’s useful resource and interface non-public and safe by disabling different tenants’ entry.
- Handy upkeep: With multi-tenant structure, you may handle your tenants by means of one occasion. Each change made in your central interfaces, similar to configurations, updates, and consumer provisioning, will seem in every tenant’s interface.
- Straightforward deployment: Multitenancy simplifies the method of including new prospects by decreasing the guide necessities to arrange and launch the answer.
Drawbacks of Multitenancy
- Response time points: Customers might encounter the “noisy neighbor” impact which happens when a number of customers submit their requests on the identical time. Subsequently, it could enhance response time and decelerate processing time for everybody.
- Downtimes: Cloud distributors can resolve when to launch new upgrades and options with out notifying their prospects. Customers might expertise downtime or decrease efficiency on account of vendor adjustments.
- Safety dangers: Safety will be each a profit and a drawback in a multi-tenant structure. There’s a probability that your sources might be uncovered to 3rd events. All tenants gaining access to the identical database might be a possible weak spot.
Multitenancy in GoodData
GoodData affords an simply accessible analytical platform to investigate your information. Its multi-tenant performance permits a number of customers to entry the identical information supply and handle their separate workspace. A workspace in GoodData’s analytics platform refers to an area the place you may load information, handle logical information fashions, create metrics, share visualizations and dashboards, and rather more.
Multitenancy in GoodData is managed by workspace hierarchy, the place there’s a guardian workspace related to baby workspaces. Each change made within the guardian workspace will seem in every baby workspace, however adjustments made in several baby workspaces won’t have an effect on the guardian workspace.
Able to Be taught Extra?
On the lookout for a multi-tenant answer? Attempt managing a multi-tenant setting in GoodData by downloading GoodData.CN Neighborhood Version. You can too comply with our tutorial for managing workspace hierarchy.